Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Redundant Expressions

From Professional Secretary’s Handbook

Redundancy – needless repetition of words and ideas – is one of the principal obstacles to writing clear, precise prose. The following list gives some common redundant expressions. The elements that are italicized in the phrases should be deleted.

old antique

ascend upward

assemble upward

capitol building

fellow colleague

consensus of opinion

habitual custom

doctorate degree

passing fad

free gift

past history

continue to persist

advance planning

individual person

new recruit

temporary reprieve

shuttle back and forth

completely unanimous

from whence

visible to the eye

My colleague, Lois has this book at her desk. It’s very interesting. I don’t know what to make of the fact that I find it very interesting. I like my job.

No comments:

Blog template